the economy of fishing industry in Jaffna, the historical Point
Pedro (PPD) jetty which remained a restricted area for many years
was vested to fisher folks by the Army.
of Traditional Industries and Small Enterprises Development Mr.
Douglass Devananda and Commander Security Forces - Jaffna (SF-J)
Major General Mahinda Hathurusinghe marked this historical occasion
by cutting a ribbon at the entrance to the jetty on Sunday (19)
A simple ceremony
had been organized by the 521 Brigade of PPD in association with
fishery societies in the area. General Officer Commanding 52 Division
Brigadier Anura Sudhasinghe, Commander 521 Brigade Colonel Tikiri
Dissanayake, Divisional Secretary PPD Mr. J. Jeyaseelan, Head
of Jaffna fisheries Societies Mr. Imiyanam Pillai and people in
the area participated in the ceremony.
The PPD jetty
was constructed during the British rule in 1875 to facilitate
sea transportation through the PPD harbour, then known as Revueady,
as the Dutch named it. Its normal functions were restricted on
security grounds in May 1985 as terrorist activities evolved in
the peninsula. The jetty had been used by the LTTE since 1990
until the Army took its control after defeating the terrorist
movements in the area in 1996.